Give them a try!
Duggars' Homemade Yeast Rolls
Makes 16 rolls
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages yeast
- 5 cups flour, plus flour for kneading
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- Combine the shortening, sugar, salt, yeast, and 2 cups of the flour in a large bowl and cut with a pastry cutter.
- Beat 2 eggs in a 2-cup measuring cup, then fill cup to the 2-cup mark with hot water; pour over the dry mixture. Slowly add the remaining 3 cups flour.
- Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap and let rise for 20 minutes in a warm oven. Then pour the dough onto a floured surface. Knead. Flatten with hands into a large pizza shape.
- Cut with pizza cutter into 16 triangle-shaped slices. Roll up from the wide end to the point. Place the rolls in two greased 9x13-inch pans, bending into crescent shapes and leaving space for the rolls to double in size.
- Let rise in a warm (but not hot!) oven at least 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake the rolls for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on how brown you prefer. When done, immediately brush with the melted butter.
*To make this recipe healthier, Michelle Duggar suggests making one of the cups of flour whole wheat.
Have you tried these rolls? If so, what did you think? If not, do you plan on it?